The sport of Triathlon involves the combination of Swimming, Cycling, and Running. Triathlon is the ultimate endurance sport by combing the three main endurance sports into a single event. Triathlon requires that the athlete cross-train in three sports, providing a less specialized and well rounded fitness. It also allows the athlete to train more in a single day, as different muscle groups are used, and avoids resting during injury as training can be easily shifted to exclude the sport that most aggravates the injury.
A triathlon starts with a distance swim, normally done in a lake, river, or the ocean. The start may be a mass start, or done in waves. From the swim the athletes enter the transition zones, which serves as the central location of the race. The bike is the second part of the event, the course is almost always a road coarse. From the bike athletes return to the transition area and head out on the run, the third an final part of the race. There is no rest in between events, the result is the total time of the event, including the transition, so ensure you practice tying your shoes fast.
- Olympic - 1.5km swim, 40km bike, 10km run
- Sprint - normally 1/2 an Olympic, but distances vary
- Ironman - 3.8km swim, 180km bike, 42.2km run
- 1/2 Ironman - 1.9km swim, 90km bike, 21.1km run
Training for a triathlon consist of training in each of the three events.
- Mass swim starts are hectic, if you are not a strong swimmer, start in the back.
- If a wave start, you may get "waved" during the swim, be ready for swimmers to come over top of you from behind.
- Practice your transition, you can gain major time from a fast transition, especially in a sprint.
- Buy a hybrid swim suite/cycle shorts from a bike or tri store, wearing a Speedo on the bike is not a good idea.
- Triathlon on Wikipedia
- TRIResults - International triathlon results
- Ironman.com - News, media, training
- International Triathlon Union - Events, results, athletes, rankings
- USA Triathlon - News, events, athletes]
- Beginner Triathlete.com - Resources for beginner triathletes
- Customized Swim Workouts for Triathlon - Tips for different swim workouts
- Triathlon Training - Triathlon training community
- Intelligent Triathlon Training Practical Triathlon Training Information
- L2 Swim Swim Triaing programs, Video Analysis, Swim Clinics, Free swim sets