Tricep exercises work the triceps brachii, the large muscle on the back of the upper arm that lies between the shoulder and elbow. The exercises that target the tricep involve either a simple pressing or extending motion. The primary difference between any tricep exercise is the angle at which the muscle is engaged and the type of equipment used.
Tricep exercises can be grouped by type of equipment: barbell/ez bar, dumbbell, cable, machine, and bodyweight. The best bodyweight exercises for engaging the tricep muscles are the classic dip and back dip. Diamond pushups (pushups performed by making a diamond with your hands and thumbs) also engage the tricep muscles.
Below is a list of tricep exercises by type of equipment.
Barbell/EZ Bar Tricep Exercises
- Close Grip Bench Press
- Tricep Press with EZ Bar (aka French Press)
- EZ Bar Tricep Extension (aka Skull Crusher)
Dumbbell Tricep Exercises
- Dumbbell Extension
- Dumbbell Kickback
- Dumbbell Press
- One Arm Dumbbell Tricep Extension
- Cross Face Lying Tricep Extension
Cable Tricep Exercises
- Tricep Pressdown with Cable
- Tricep Pressdown with Rope
- One Arm Reverse Tricep Cable Pressdown
Machine Tricep Exercises
- Machine Dip
- Machine Tricep Extension
Bodyweight Tricep Exercises
- Back Dip